Today was a huge success. I had a new tradition. Ana and my kids came over to my new classroom to help me move in. I’ve moved into 5 new classrooms in the last five years and my wife has been a huge support in helping me get organized and ready for the students’ first day of school. Here’s a few highlights:
- My sister Gayla helped me purchase many of the supplies I needed.
- Our library assistant provided me with a great selection of big books and great math manipulatives (much needed).
- I have a great team of teachers and we have already had a chance to meet and get going together.
- Just in time our office provided the classroom with some essential supplies.
- Our district has now implemented class size reduction in grades K-2 (24:1) and that really helps.
- I’ve found two other TK teachers who I can collaborate with plus a ton of specialists via blogs, Pinterest, and Twitter.
I still need a huge amount of support, materials, and special training for TK, but I think I’ll be ready for students come the first day of school.